Thursday, January 7, 2010

Love and Marriage

I've spent the day discussing adolescent viewpoints on love and marriage, in a prelude to our beginning to read Romeo and Juliet tomorrow. The day has been full of wonderful, wonderful irony. The kind of stuff sitcoms are made of. Here is just a taste:

1. A student passionately shared his feelings that people can fall in love at any age and should be able to get married as young as they want. "It just depends on maturity, not a number," said he. And then his super-sized toy skateboard fell out of his pocket.

2. Another student said, "I definitely think children are the worst idea ever. They like, ruin marriage. At least that's what my dad said. But he stole my PS3, so I guess, what does he know?"*

3. A love-lorn young lady: "Well, you should be allowed to get married when you've got it all figured out..." Oh boy.

"Did my heart love till now? Forswear it, sight!
For I ne'er saw true beauty till this night."

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish someone had written all the truly insightful things i had to say about love in highschool.