Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Help Yourself

As an English major in college, my focus was American Literature--more specifically Early American Political Rhetoric. Plainly speaking, I studied the struggle to create and form an American Voice. It seems kind of dramatic now, 10 years removed from the world I was once submerged in--looking for America, but I was truly in love. The idea that social injustice was confronted head-on in this new land was fascinating to me. I found myself drawn to eras in which the oppressed would rise against opposing forces and make the world a different place. A better place. The Help catapulted me back into that college mindset, made me want to know more about this particular atrocity that took place in my America.


Kathryn Stockett, a white woman raised by a black maid in Jackson, Mississippi, wrote this story in an effort to seek absolution from the past sin of passivity. The novel follows two African American maids in the 1960s and the white women they work for. The white women who have fallen so neatly into the role of "master" to these black women who raised them and whom, in childhood, they had loved like mothers. It is also the story of Miss Skeeter, who I imagine is none other than Miss Kathryn Stockett herself, a young white woman and a charter member of the Jackson Junior League. Skeeter does what Stockett did not (in her youth) and begins to empathize with these maids and the injustices they face in the 1960s South. She wants to tell their story.


This is my book club pick for April and I am geared up for an array of Southern food tonight including fried chicken, cornbread and chocolate pie. I think I will wear an apron.

1 comments:

Sherbert15 said...

Hey Mrs. Butler,

A few weeks ago, I remembered that you said you had a blog...so I looked it up. (dont think I'm a stalker) Anyways, I must say that its pretty bomb. Granted, you read "adult" books when I would rather pick up a copy of Anne of Green Gables, Little Women, or Harry Potter (because Twilight makes me want to gag...like that one time when I was little and my mom made me eat broccoli and I started to gag cause it was just gross). But really, its cool how you put in a personal story when you explain books. Like that knitting one (which I TOTALLY saw at Costo and tried to get my mom to buy because she's always knitting...always. Even at my sports games she'll be in the crowd with her cute "momish" clothes on just knitting with my dad sitting there eating popcorn next to her. Btw she didnt buy it so now it might show up under her pillow on mothers day...) although the story wasnt really explained, it got me in the knitting mood. Until I went into the living room and my mom was, yeah, knitting.

Sorry if I've been rambling...haha maybe I need to start a blog of my own. IDK. The point is that your blog is the-bomb-dot-com! Anyways, I have to go. I have to keep studying for the Bio test on Thursday (blagh). ---Student who shall reamin nameless