Friday, March 6, 2009

Why I Hate the Mac, volume 76


Just because someone is pretty, is not a good enough reason to refrain from punching them in the face. Which is the thought I am having, even now, as I stare down my life's current antagonist. 

Why? Well, I'll tell you. I have been working on obtaining my National Board teaching certificate for two years. TWO YEARS! National Board certified teachers "meet rigorous standards through intensive study, expert evaluation, self-assessment and peer review." (as per their website) Are you even interested in this? I'll cut to the chase. I removed a flash drive containing highly important and nearly complete documents from my loverly computer yesterday (after saving, and saving again) and upon replacing it, the computer informed me (in red and caps--such tact!): it is unreadable.

Now, I know you are thinking what my husband had the audacity to say to me at least three times last night. No, I did not save it anywhere else. Yes, I am sure. Yes, I learned a valuable lesson about backing things up. Well, screw you all because I have learned that lesson MANY TIMES BEFORE in my life. And I maintain that I absolve myself of any blame in this situation. I blame in this order: 1) Steve Jobs for coming up with the idea in the first place; 2) my husband for buying into it; 3) my parents for making me so neurotic. 

You may also be throwing around the second-greatest question my trouble-shooting husband asked me: "Did the flash drive come into contact with any magnets?" The answer is yes--I keep a giant magnet on hand at all times.

So a word to the wise: don't trust it, the pretty face is just masking a villain. And quit playing with your magnets so close to the computer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, Molly, I am so sorry!!! All that hard work, gone. I feel like I could cry for you, just knowing the tiniest amount about national board cert. that I know.
-Shaunna

Unknown said...

I sympathize about the loss of your documents. However, the loss has nothing to do with Mac, and it's entirely your fault. You can't expect a pretty car to prevent an accident.

Pick the option that best describes your situation:
A.) You copied a file from your computer to the flash drive and somehow the file on both devices disappeared.
B.) You always saved this file to the flash drive and thought this was a reliable place to keep it.
C.) Your dog ate your homework.

What really gets me is that a nearly board-certified teacher who has "learned that lesson MANY TIMES BEFORE" and is obviously stung by a repeat of said mistake still manages to blame her husband, Steve Jobs, and her parents. What lesson have you learned?

You can be mad about my post and delete it but you know it's the truth.