Friday, March 20, 2009

Lost and Loving It


Some things only get better as the years go by. Like my favorite red velour pajama pants. Or Neil Patrick Harris. Or Sawyer from Lost. Oh Sawyer, you have really come into your own as the moody, intimidating tough guy/Head of Dharma Security. And I am so happy that you finally got a new pair of reading glasses.


Oh Sawyer. You might be my favorite villain-turned hero ever. The great thing about an on-going narrative is that the characters have a chance to redeem themselves. Or in Ben's case, redeem themselves and then negate this redemption, and then do it again.


In this new setting--1977 Dharma--Sawyer commands respect like my 11th grade Pre-Calc teacher Mr. Brafalaut (so scary!). I love the irony that Jack's fabricated apptitude test indicated he was best suited for janitorial work. Was this Sawyer's way of getting back at him for being such a pretentious know-it-all? I don't know, but something about Jack fumbling around Dharmatown trying to come up with a plan and getting shut down gave me such satisfaction. Sawyer is a thinker, Jack is a do-er, and having to be submissive to Sawyer's plan-to-be is making Jack wish he had never come back. (Jack, don't forget that just months ago you were standing in the rain with a crazy beard screaming, "We have to go back!!")


Did you know that Winston Churchill said he read a book every day? Well, Sawyer did. He said it helped him to think. Shame on you Jack for implying that reading is a waste of time. "Oh really? You're working on it? Because it looks like you are reading a book."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about the heroic powers of redemption. This is really why I like Sawyer and Kate. Yes...I know you can't stand her...but same idea, bad girl trying to do good. She delivered Claire's baby! She loves Aaron! She even feels guilt about her past transgressions. Maybe she's just a little further behind Sawyer in the coming-of-age tale that is her adult life. But the point is--there's still hope. And that's what I like about Lost.

Mrs. Butler said...

Well put. I always forget about the baby delivering business. That boosts her up on my scale a bit. She is able to do it all--arson, murder, international crime sprees, deliver babies...