Thursday, December 3, 2009

New Gems in Television

You already know that I love TV. Now that 'Mad Men' is over and 'Lost' is so...far...away... I have more time to devote to other televised wonders. Here are some of my new favs (and one that is not new, but new to my favs). Allow me to tell you why I love them:

Glee:
So many reasons, where to start? Well, how about the fact that this show is loosely based on my husband's own high school experience. Finn=Rhett in so many ways. Not to mention the fact that this show might be single-handedly responsible for jumpstarting high school arts programs nation-wide. Take, for example, my school. We have had slim to no interest in the drama program since I started teaching here six years ago. Then, this fall, our choir director held auditions for a musical production and seventy (70!) kids tried out for a play with 17 roles. Holy why the face*. This show is taking the world, high schoolers and me by storm. I love, love, love it.

*See Modern Family entry below.

Modern Family:
Because Phil is a "cool dad" who knows all the hip adolescent lingo and text speak: "Lol is Laugh Out Loud; Wtf is Why the Face?" And because Jay's pre-teen stepson is a hybrid fencing-Columbian-gentleman who is trying to be 30. AND because, well, look at that baby with those creme puffs.

Parks and Recreation:
This show is so much funnier in its sophomore effort! All hail Aziz Ansari! He may be overly crass and abrasive on Twitter, but he slays me on P&R. My favorite Tom Haverford quote of the year to date: "On a scale of one to Chris Brown, how mad is he?" I tried to say it the other day to one of my co-workers and I accidentally said "On a scale of one to Chris Rock..." He was all, "Huh? Why the face?"


Flash Forward:
I'm actually not sure about this one. I want it to be good, because the cast is so great (Will Shakespeare/Joseph Fienes AND Charlie/The Hot Hobbit/Dominique Monaghan as a bad guy!). And in the pilot, I saw a billboard for Oceanic Airlines. But I'm not sure about the lifespan of this show, which would seemingly end on 04/29/10. And it is starting to come off as kind of cheesy (I'm a self-proclaimed cheese-o-meter). But I keep watching because I secretly hope that DM is actually Charlie and that maybe, just maybe, out of the shadows might step Benjamin Linus.

In a rare twist, I have been reading so much lately that I haven't had time to watch TV and need to do some catch-up. Luckily the weekends come quickly when your job is as hilarious and your kids are as adorable as mine.

0 comments: