Monday, December 1, 2008

Facebook Freaks Me Out

A friend of mine recently sent me an invitation to join Facebook, so I signed up because I wanted to look at her pictures. You fill in your info, and all of a sudden--boom! It pops up with a list of people who I know suggesting that I may be interested in requesting their friendship (what a fascinating concept, when I was a kid we rarely formally requested people's friendship, we just made fun of them until they thought we were cool). We are talking like 100 people! That I know! How does Facebook know that I know these people?--they are from all walks of my life: high school, college, post-college. It completely freaked me out. It's like this weird voyeuristic universe where people can find out about other people's lives without actually having to talk to them. It makes me think about when you get your yearbook at the end of the school year, and you spend hours looking at every picture, trying desperately to identify flaws in people. 

I'm just not sure I'm ready for Facebook.

1 comments:

Will Fifield said...

Hey Molly,

Your post here reminds me of an aspect of social networking that once offended me, that of officially requesting friendship.

I once wanted to check out some photos of my friend Dave's house, as it flooded. My wife told me he posted some pics of the flood on his MySpace account.

I work on computers everyday, but that doesn't mean I'm savvy. I often struggle with technology.

So, when I clicked the link to see the photos, it told me I couldn't look at them because I wasn't Dave's friend. I thought I had done all the set up right, but I guess not.

I tried it again.

Still, I wasn't Dave's friend.

Frustrated, I questioned the parentage of the inventor of MYSpace for trying to tell me that I wasn't Dave's friend.

I eventually learned to navigate the world of MySpace and Facebook. However, I'm not sure what I think of social networking. It's another thing in life to keep up with when I can barely manage to spend a few minutes with each kid and talk to my wife before it's time to get to bed so I can get up for work.