Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Coming to you live...

from mid-term finals (an oxymoron, yes). What a great time of year--the true half-way mark. There is nothing like the peace and quiet of angst-ridden adolescents frantically writing away and glancing at the clock in panic and shock every 2 minutes (I teach a lot of honors classes). Check my Facebook status tonight and it will say: Molly is casually grading mid-term exams while in labor.

This week also marks the beginning of a literary journey upon which I will be embarking with my students. A knowledge bowl-type event (think: the Mathletes from Mean Girls, except with books). Students have formed teams and are posed to read and reflect on fourteen young adult novels of various genres and reading levels. Since I hadn't previously read any of these books, I too am trotting diligently through them. I'm very excited about this little project (see the first paragraph, picture me in baggy jeans and a flannel, and you have an accurate portrait of my own high school experience)--here are the books we are reading:

Peaches, by Jodi Lynn Anderson (I just finished this one--very Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants-ish)
The Boxes, William Sleator
Pirates! Celia Rees
Dragonsong, Anne McCaffrey
The Westing Game, Ellen Raskin
The Christopher Killer, Alane Ferguson
Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
Code Talker, Joseph Bruchac
I Heard the Owl Call My Name, Margaret Craven
Maus I, Art Spiegelman
East, Edith Pattou
Night Hoops, Carl Deuker
The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
The Highest Tide, Jim Lynch

A few of these will be tough for me (I don't usually gravitate towards sci-fi or hobbits), but for the most part I really like the selections we have made. Happy Tuesday, I wish you some peace and quiet of your own.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maus I.......I will be interested to hear what your kids say about that. Ana read it and was able to get a little deeper into that whole subject. I read it and realized how much you can say using animals as characters....