Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Have, Yet Again, Found Something With Which to Become Obsessed


I was at the library yesterday (one of my favorite places and, in my humble opinion, a cornerstone of our democratic society-nothing says "equality for all" like the ability to access unlimited sources of information free of charge). I think that is long enough for that sentence. At said library, I picked up a copy of Nick Hornby's Shakespeare Wrote for Money because a) it is Nick Hornby and I always picture John Cusack when I read his stuff, b) it is short, and c) it has a great cover. I had no idea what it was, and upon arriving home and sitting down to peruse it, I realized that it is a collection of essay articles he wrote for The Believer (a monthly rag dedicated to literary exploration). His column (?) focuses on books he is reading at the time, giving insight, review, criticism, and making connections to his own life. Shakespeare Wrote for Money is the third collection of these articles to be published, following The Polysyllabic Spree and Housekeeping vs. the Dirt.


In essence, it is like a blog about reading...and it is wonderful and hilarious. Check out the first installment.

0 comments: